In conjunction with the Cardboard Boat Races each year, Skills Canada – Ontario offers students an exciting opportunity to showcase their technological and creative skills in a fun contest.
In teams of two, students from across the province film and edit videos that promote the Cardboard Boat Races. All footage is shot live at the boat races. Teams then have one month to edit and submit their videos, which are then judged by a panel of industry experts.
This year, Skills Canada – Ontario has introduced a new element to the Secondary Video Challenge: The People’s Choice Award!
While expert judges are analyzing the videos based on the criteria in the guidelines, the general public can choose their favourite to win the People’s Choice Award. Follow us on Facebook to find out when voting is open!
Note: You will need a YouTube or Google account in order to vote.
1. Go to www.youtube.com/skillsontario to reach Skills Canada – Ontario’s YouTube channel.
2. There are two view options. If you look at the very right end of the channel bar, you’ll see you have the options of “Player View” and “Grid View.” Make sure you are set to Player View.
3. Click on “Playlists” in the channel bar. You will see one Playlist for the 2010/2011 Elementary Video Challenge and one for the 2010/2011 Secondary Video Challenge.
4. Watch the videos in either playlist, or both!
5. Click the “Like” button under your favourite secondary video to vote for it. You will be asked to either sign in using your Google or YouTube login, or to create one.
6. Get your friends voting too! The contest closes at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, February 4th. The winning team will be directly notified by Skills Canada – Ontario.
Good luck to our participating teams!