Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Skills Work!® On The Road – Shannon Skinner, Toronto

My name is Shannon Skinner and I am the Liaison Officer for the Peel and Halton regions.  It has almost been a year since I started with Skills Canada – Ontario and I still feel like a newbie.  I think it will take me participating in my second Ontario Technological Skills Competition (OTSC) to feel like a veteran like my fellow Liaison Officers, Will and Devon.

If you’re unfamiliar with the OTSC, it is the largest skilled trade competition in Canada.  Spectators get to watch amazing secondary and post-secondary students compete in over 60 skilled trade and technology contests.  Last year was a special year to join the team because we had the challenge of running back-to-back competitions:  the OTSC and the Canadian Skills Competition.

I found out what my role was for the OTSC and CSC over lunch on my first day.  Barry, the Competitions Manager, came into the board room to introduce himself to me over lunch.  We got to know each other by discussing our competitive rowing careers and then he asked me a question with a small smile on his face.  “Shannon, do you know how to put together a table saw?”

I thought to myself, "what the heck is a table saw?"

I replied “if it comes in a box with instructions, I’ll give it a shot!”  It turns out I was assigned the task of setting up and distributing all of the tools that were needed onsite for all of the skilled trade contests and challenges happening throughout both competitions.  Lucky for me I had a knowledgeable partner in crime, Will Howe, who had been working with the tools team since he started at Skills.  Together, we managed to get the tools charged, set up and delivered in time for the competitions.  This year I’m going to find myself a brightly coloured hard hat to complete my tool girl look.

The whole experience lasted 19 days and it was best introduction to the job I could imagine.  I was able to see firsthand the results of the hard work Skills Canada-Ontario puts in to promote the skilled trades and technologies to youth across Ontario.

Since that time, I have been to over 100 schools delivering the "Skills Work! ® What's Out There" Presentation, organized two "Skills Work! ® for Women" Networking Dinners and attended four “Skills Work!” Summer Camps.  I have loved every minute of my experience and I’m looking forward to round two!

No comments:

Post a Comment